Think you’ve done everything there is to do in Bath with the kids? Then why not venture a little further afield? From open air pools to caving, Land Rover safaris to aerospace, here’s our pick of the top 5 day trips from Bath…
- First stop is Cirencester and the Cotswold Country Park and Beach, with its huge inland beach (reportedly the largest in the UK). The South Lake is where you’ll find the sand, and lots of it, as well as a climbing wall, basketball court and adventure playground to let them loose on. Out on the lake, there are rowing boats, pedalos and ferry-themed electric boats to hire, plus plenty of barbecue stations positioned all along the edge of the water. Directly opposite is North Lake, home to kayaking, standup paddle boarding and perhaps the biggest draw of all, the park’s fantastic inflatable AquaVenture obstacle course. Be warned: the beach can get very busy over the summer months, as can the AquaVenture, so pre booking is essential.
Address: Cotswold Country Park & Beach, Spratsgate Lane, Shorncote, Cirencester GL7 6DF
Journey time: around 1 hour
- Another one for the water babies, Portishead open air pool is impressively huge and the views across the Bristol Channel from its sun terraces are really superb. The pool, built in the 1960s, was given an extreme TV makeover almost ten years ago, but it’s still looking good. Open every day from 7/8.30am to 7pm, there is a great community cafe staffed entirely by volunteers and serving decent sandwiches, warm paninis and Marshfield ice-cream (well worth a visit in its own right if you haven’t been before!). Just don’t forget the sun tan lotion…
Address: Esplanade Road, Portishead BS20 7HD
Journey time: around 55 mins
- With dramatic cliffs reaching a height of 450ft, Cheddar Gorge boasts the biggest gorge in the UK. Climb to the top for jaw-dropping views across the surrounding countryside, or head underground and explore the spectacular Gough’s Cave. If you fancy a bit of adventure, you can try your hand at rock climbing, or test your brain power and race against the clock in one of the gorge’s two fantastic escape room challenges. The Black Cat Free Fall is the latest addition to the gorge, a dramatic leap of faith that takes place right inside the caves themselves. Definitely not one for the faint-hearted.
Address: Cheddar Gorge and Caves, The Cliffs, Cheddar, BS27 3QF
Journey time: around 45mins
- Slimbridge Wetland Centre has a whole host of family-friendly activities taking place this summer, including Land Rover safaris, I-spy canoe expeditions and a giant LEGO brick animal trail with 14 amazing LEGO sculptures hidden around the nature reserve. There are fabulous hides for budding twitchers, and the wonderful Toad Hall which has all sorts of interesting amphibians to view, some of which you can even hold. The playground is brilliant too, with waterwheels, bridges, fountains and streams; this summer, you can try your hand at good old-fashioned pond dipping, go nose-to-beak with the rarest goose in the world and meet the centre’s fabulous family of cheeky otters…there’s plenty to fill the day here, and plenty to learn about too. Everyone’s a winner…
Address: WWT Slimbridge, Bowditch, Slimbridge, Gloucestershire GL2 7BT
Journey time: just under an hour
- Last but by no means least, how about visiting Bristol’s newest family attraction? Aerospace Bristol charts a fascinating path through aviation history, starting with WW1 biplanes right through to modern fighter jets, rockets and satellites. Best of all, it’s home to Concorde Alpha Foxtrot: the last of the iconic supersonic passenger jets to be built and the last to fly. Entry to the museum includes a superb tour of the plane and a full, hands-on experience, with plenty of facts and figures to satisfy the whole gang. Book your speedy boarding tickets here…Address: Aerospace Bristol, Hayes Way, Patchway Bristol BS34 5BZ
Journey time: around one hour
Got your own favourite family day trips from Bath? We would love you to share them with us! Visit us on Facebook or Twitter and tell us where you’re most looking forward to going with the kids this summer! Happy holidays!